Today was our first day of Tot School and we kicked it off with a “colors” theme. It was so much fun to watch the little ones explore with all of their senses!
Check out what we did in our hour and a half together…
Indoor Sensory Play
1. We mixed paint in a bag. The Hippie Housewife
2. We pulled colorful pipe cleaners from sifters (and tried to put them back in). The Imagination Tree.
3. We played with colorful stacking and sorting toys.
4. We experimented with rainbow playdough (and ate a bit too).
5. We read books about colors.
6. We shook colorful balloons full of rice, corn, seeds and beans. Tutus and Turtles.
Play Dough Recipe:
Ingredients: 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 cup water, food coloring
Directions: In a small heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat, until mixture forms into a ball. Remove from heat and turn onto a board. Cool for a few minutes. Knead for 5 minutes. Keeps for weeks in a covered bowl.
Story and Music
1. We read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? and sang along with Greg and Steve’s musical version of the story. Each toddler had a puppet from the story.
2. We turned on some jams, dimmed the lights and turned on our colored disco ball to make our very own Toddler Dance Club.
Outdoor Sensory Play and Snack
1. We played games with our colorful parachute.
2. We snacked on rainbow fruit.
3. We placed Crayola Colored Bath Drops in water buckets and splashed around.
Next week’s Tot School is all about The Farm. Stay tuned…